Sunday, January 25, 2009

Buffalo Chicken Dip (or, "Ode to Texas Pete")

More than a year ago, Randy was assigned to shoot portraits of Wichita State basketball coach Gregg Marshall and his family for the WSU sports department. While at the Marshalls' home, he was served what he later told me was the best dip he has ever eaten in his life.

"Did you get the recipe?" I asked.

"No," Randy said, incredulous. Like he would *ask* Gregg Marshall for a recipe! Puh-leeze.

"How good was that dip?" I asked.

"OK," he reconsidered. "I'll get the recipe."

He got it, on an index card in Lynn Marshall's handwriting: "Buffalo Chicken Dip." And I knew it was, in fact, an awesome recipe when I saw "Texas Pete" listed as one of the ingredients. I didn't realize until later -- when I shared the recipe with a few friends -- that not everyone around here knows what Texas Pete is.

Where I come from, Texas Pete is like Kleenex or Q-Tips. You wouldn't say you needed a "facial tissue" or a "cotton swab," and similarly, in North Carolina, where Texas Pete was created, you don't say "hot sauce." You just say Texas Pete.

So here's the recipe, perfect for Super Bowl Sunday or March Madness or book clubs (I'm taking it to mine this week) or any kind of gathering where you might want the most awesome dip ever:

BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP

Ingredients:
1 package cream cheese
2 cans (10 oz. each) white meat chicken
1/2 cup Texas Pete
3/4 cup Ranch dressing
1 cup monterrey jack cheese, shredded

Spread cream cheese in Pyrex pan (8x11 or so). Combine Ranch, Texas Pete and chicken and spread over cream cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with monterrey jack. Let sit for 10-15 minutes to cool down. Serve with Tostitos or Fritos scoops.

4 comments:

Lori said...

the texas pete that i used for this dip on friday night was called Texas Pete Buffalo Hot Wings barbecue sauce! i thought it was tasty but i guess i should have used just the regular hot sauce. i'll know which is better when i try yours at book club.

KaitCav said...

Buffalo Chicken Dip is so popular this year! It even has it’s own website: http://www.BuffaloChickenDip.com. I make it using Swanson Chicken because it's made with only white meat (I work for them so I know). It’s also low fat/low cal! We get compliments on our recipe all the time. Also, you can sub in blue cheese dressing and crumbles for the ranch dressing and cheese blend. YUM!

Amy D. said...

Is this by any chance the dip Denise brought to my bday party?

Leslie said...

I just found you through Janelle's blog. Happy Day for me!
Les.